Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Airstream Dreams

When people know you are on the verge of graduating college they almost always ask "what do you want to do when you graduate?"

The truth is... I'm still figuring that out. 

I've always wanted to buy an old RV (airstream anyone?) and drive across the country, maybe that's what I want to do. I love to travel. It can be fully decked out with fine linens and many goodies found along life's highway, and of course Deacon would ride shotgun -- Gypsy Soul here, checking in.

How about all of these "local" up and coming brands I'm in love with? Like Fayettechill, or Ugly Mug Coffee ... What if I found my way into working for or starting my own company? I love the southern values and hospitality attached to each of these, and growing up the granddaughter of a small privately owned business I know the value of every customer. Come, sit in my shop and have a cup of coffee. Share with me the joys of your heart.

On days I've watched too much Greys Anatomy, I want to be a surgeon. Then reality sets in and I realize no matter how much I pray, there's no way I'm making it through Med School. No way.  

Maybe I'll run a local book store where people can swap out old for new, or perhaps it will be a feed shack where animal lovers may find themselves killing an afternoon. Oh, how about a farm? I could give private riding lessons and include children with special needs.

Either way, I'm not exactly sure what I will do or where I will be. I do know my deepest desire is to serve people. I want to have a "job" that's allows me the privilege of sharing my faith at any moment. I want to be at the Lords feet in all areas and know that He has ordained every person to enter into my life for a divine purpose. I want my life to be solely for the purpose of sharing His glory to all the nations.

My degree, when I FINALLY graduate, will be something of very little use for any of these previously mentioned avenues of employment. That's completely ok though, because God does not call the equipped, He equips the called. I'm praying about that calling and where it may lead me.

Maybe I've yet to "settle down" here in good ol' Conway Arkansas because God knows there is something bigger for me, in another place. Maybe that place is Colorado. Or Kentucky. Or Texas (they do say everything is bigger there). How about Saudi Arabia. Or India? I honestly have no idea. Well, that's a bit of a lie, I have some prospects- but its too early to get into all of that.

I guess one benefit of not knowing what you are going to do upon graduation is: the possibilities are endless. 

Seriously, endless. Especially when your Father holds the universe in His hands. annnnd que music "He's got the whole world, in His hands" 

I will need to clothe and feed myself (gas for the airstream), and Deacon can't live on granola bars alone, so I realize I will have to have a means of income. I'm just starting to acknowledged (to myself at least) it's ok if it's a very unconventional means to an end. More importantly, it's ok if I haven't quiet figured all of that out, yet. 9-6 ain't quiet my thing.

A perfect day for me wouldn't start until 10am, and it would be ok if there were many breaks (naps) in the mix. I want to spend some time outside, I want to spend time with people. I will need coffee. I'm a night person, so it's cool if these days stretch into the wee hours of morning on occasion. I can't operate a business if I'm not fully functioning at early hours- So all of those ideas could be thrown out the window.

What does it look like to work in ministry? I'm going to do some research. I can handle my own infront of a crowd, I can have perfectly hairsprayed hair that gets windblown on occasion. I could rock a pants suit, if need be. I would probably preach barefooted though. Just sayin' (Arkansas born and raised). How great would it be if God intrusted me with the task of spreading His message and love to the multitudes in a way that allowed me to consider it my "day job"? Beth Moore, anyone? What if she is my new bestie?! (side-note: those ministry women travel a lot-airstream can still work here)

The greatest part of all of this, I don't have to figure it all out. All I have to do is ask, and listen. I just ask God where He wants me, what His desires are for me and He will faithfully answer. He will also provide the airstream or the pant suit-whichever fits the need. 

So for now, here's to the girl who doesn't know what her future holds, but to a God that does.     

No comments:

Post a Comment