Thursday, April 3, 2014

Just a fancy four letter word

Four letter words. I can think of a few. What comes to mind when another car hits you, or someone offends you? 

There's a whole laundry list of words we are not to use.

Words that have been battered and abused.

I want to talk about a word that many people take for granted.

A word, that when improperly used, leaves people feeling abandoned.

A powerful 4 letter word that cannot stop at only being a word.

It must be turned into an action, one that is to be given and received.

Love.  


How we choose to do that reflects greatly on our character.

Have you heard of the 5 different love languages?

There is a great book that explains it and walks you through all 5 of the ways people receive and give love. For the sake of this post, I will tell you the list.

  • Physical Touch
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Acts of Service

Have you ever heard of this? If you haven't, it's something you should look into. We are called to love one another and this truly helps you understand the different ways you receive and give love. Love is not a generic "one size fits all" thing that you can order off a menu like say... a cheeseburger with bacon and all the fixin's.

You can take a "quiz" here to help you determine your love language(s).

My first love language is words of affirmation and my second is tied between quality time and physical touch. I love to give gifts. I tend to receive gifts very horribly, but I'm working on it.

"Words of Affirmation". I think this goes hand in hand with my God given instinct to encourage others. I have a tendency to expect people to give me love the way I receive it best, and because of that I may not be as quick to realize someone pouring themselves out while trying to help me make dinner. I'm learning to see those moments now. Thankfully I've surrounded myself with friends and family who have much grace for me and who continue to love on me in the hard moments.

One of my very favorite things is to leave or find sweet little notes like this


How about this one? I've been hanging onto it for quiet some time now (9/29/08)...


While it may not be my first reaction, I also have to recognize acts of service people perform. The hours my dad has poured into fixing my car and making sure it's safe to drive, that's his act of service to me. Because he loves me, he does those things so I am safe. How about the way my friends offer to help me do something I've insisted on doing myself? There's another act of love.

Did you know that sometimes we think we are loving people in the best possible way but in reality we aren't? The truth is, the easiest way to love someone for you may be a difficult way for them to receive it. Some people may not appreciate or even notice you taking out the garbage, where others may truly jump for joy.

I encourage you to learn how you're loving on folks. Do so for those deep rooted relationships, do so for the person you meet at the grocery store. It's crucial we show people true, down to the core, raw love. Unconditional love. A love like Jesus.

Who wants to go through life without loving someone or being loved on?

Not this girl.

I challenge you to learn what your love language is, then to learn what language the people closest to you may "speak". If you are aware of the way you are loving on someone, and you are doing so in a way they receive it best, chances are you are pouring out love like never before.

Thankfully, I learned awhile ago what true unconditional love is. The deepest love any one person can know or feel, from the greatest being known to man. That love is from God. He who never fails us, He who is always patient, He who is kind but just, He who loves us when we cannot even love ourselves.
 
I encourage you to come to know this love too, to look outside of platonic, romantic, or fantasized love and to learn of a love that is everlasting. You have a father that wants to love you like no one else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment