Friday, April 4, 2014

Hitting the Highway

In my very early 20s I started chasing country music across most of the southern US. I discovered many things in those few years. Mostly, I discovered parts of myself that I never knew were there. I found this new confidence, and I embraced it. I would see a show two states away just because I could. Along the way, I met so many different people. Now I have friends scattered all across the US!

My family tended to get frustrated with me because I was "burning up the road" waisting time and money just to "see another concert". What most people didn't understand is that it was much more than waisting time. It was a time of self discovery. I found parts of myself that would have laid uncovered for who knows how long. I discovered things I love to do, things that irritate me, like horrible traffic. I learned many lessons form choices I made. Sometimes I had too much to drink, I always laughed at everything (a trait I'm glad to say has stuck around), made life long relationships, learned the appreciation of gas station food and music. 

Something about the open road, wind coming in through the window- feel good music on the radio. Nothing better. I found a big part of who I am while chasing miles on the highway. 

Now that I have grown a little older, responsibilities have grown in numbers. I've had less opportunity to jump in the car and go. It is true what they say absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Oh highway, how I've missed you. I've been dying for a cross country road trip, something I decided a long time ago I would do.

Last week I posted on Facebook that I really needed a road trip. This weekend I'm headed about five hours south to Dallas to visit a good friend of mine. It may not be cross country, but at least I'm crossing state lines!

I'm even wearing my super rad shirt that will help me remember exactly when that happens. 



As I'm packing up to leave and hit the open road I'm excited to see what this adventure will include, what new self discoveries will be made. 

Recently, my adopted Conway family took a job in San Antonio Texas. I have always been a Texas fan - not longhorns just the state... Now there is this ever pressing matter of will I or won't I make the move to San Antonio myself. I know Dallas is not quite the same, but it's all Texas so I'm excited to test the waters. It's been a few years since I've crossed that Texarkana border! As I drive, I'm praying for more confirmation of what my future will hold after college. I'm starting to become excited thinking about a move further down south. I've only had a couple of real freak out moments - but who's counting? What awesome is that somehow there was God spin put on all of that too.  He's so faithful.

I can tell you a few things that are for sure going to happen this weekend:

I'm going to hug a friend I've missed for a while now, then we will spend hours catching up over a bottle of wine or a beer (or two). I'm going to be charmed by the cowboy hats that pass me by, I'm probably going to get upset with other drivers at some point. I'm going to wear my cowboy boots. I'm going to keep an open ear to see if God has anything more to say about this whole thing. Which He always does

Stay tuned for words from the open road from a traveling gypsy soul. 

-Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment