Monday, March 17, 2014

A Collectors Kitchen

Many of my best memories have been made around a dinning room table or a kitchen counter. In my grandmas kitchen for instance, there's this specific corner of the counter that I've claimed as my own. From the time I was old enough to climb up and sit on it, that's been my place. Even when she insisted I not sit on the counter. To this day, as a grown woman, if its late at night and grandma's cooking something up, you will find me sitting on her counter. There are numerous kitchen bar stools across most of Arkansas that have significance or hold a special memory too, some on a nearly weekly basis. I'm just a sucker for good kitchen conversations.

I am always one for the  nostalgic side of things. I love for items of everyday use to be linked to people or memories that brighten my day.

Take a look at this special little spoon.



A friend of the family left this at our house more than 10 years ago, I tried to return it but because I liked it so much she insisted on me to keeping it. When I moved out on my own it got added to my collection of random assorted silverware. I love that when I use it I think of her, it just makes me happy.

It's hard to even start on the collection of coffee cups I have, although lately its taken a massive hit in numbers. There's the cup I got from Yellowstone, then broke it, then I went back the next summer and got the same one again. There's a few from grandma, including a pink elephant. A cup my memaw gave me with all the Nashville whereabouts listed, and of course the beloved cup from Wyoming. Lets also not forget my "Cowgirls Rule" favorite.


Yes, my kitchen is a collection of happy memories. Some might criticize most items don't match, or there being no full set of any one thing, but I seriously wouldn't want it any other way.

I mean take a look at these special guys. Grandma gave me these, passed down from her kitchen. I can remember sitting on her counter watching her put them to use. Many soups have been ladled and eggs fried, oh the stories they have to tell.  


Fried eggs you say? I love to cook a piece of bread with a fried egg in the middle, but calling it "boat food" (because Brandi's dad grew up eating this while fishing in Alaska) makes it taste that much better.



And the finished product....

                                               does this make me a food blogger now?

How about those families who have passed down entire dish sets to me over the years? I'm now on my third set of "hand me downs". I love that. (not to worry, I've passed the previous two sets down to someone else so they are being well taken care of).

I am currently adding to my kitchen collection, acquiring special little items to attach later made memories to. I think my favorite purchase in all these years would have to be my salt and pepper shakers.


                                         Hello, who wouldn't just love these little love birds! 

I am a fan of entertaining. Maybe that's why, in some way, I enjoy this blog. I entertain you with my thoughts. I love even more to cook while entertaining. Emotionally, that's my happy place.


Notice the very present "messy bun" kitchen up-do? Happens on the regular. No apologies.

It is an extraordinary feeling being comfortable enough in someone else's home to cook for them. Something about knowing where to find a special ingredient or a mixing bowl in another woman's kitchen, it's like a right of passage. So for those of you who have given me the honors, thanks! And for those who I've refused to let in my kitchen, or done so reluctantly... I'm going to work on that....

Now go, cook something memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment