Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

(a recap)

My morning really started off the night before, if that's possible. I knew my family was coming for breakfast bright and early. I also know I'm not one to wake up early on my own freewill. So, I "set the crockpot and forgot" about it!

Wishful Thinking 

I laid all of the morning essentials out that could withstand not being in the fridge, then I went to bed.

(yes, you see the Christmas Story leg lamp and a gnome in my kitchen. No other reason than because I'm awesome)

I got up about 10 minutes later because I realized I was never going to be able to fall asleep.

I was anxious. Surprises and heartfelt goodbyes were on the way.

I cleaned house, I tried to watch TV, I played with my dog, I did not fold the laundry that was waiting on me, I checked the crockpot every five minutes. 

Finally, I forced myself to sleep around 3am. After-all, my morning wake up call was ringing in at 5:30am.

Two hours of restless sleep later, I was up before the alarm. I checked the crockpot again. I got all of the goodies laid out from the fridge. I made my cup of coffee. I walked the dog. and I waited. and waited. For a family that is never late, this was their morning! It is only to be expected though, realizing they had to pack all of the last minute items away and prepare for the 10+ hour drive across Texas.

I held my own together, until I couldn't anymore. My lovely roommate emerged from her room just in time to see me start freaking out. I opened the blinds, I peaked outside. I told her "I'm giving them ten more minutes, then I'm calling!". I tried to understand what this feeling was I was experiencing.

Frustration? Hurt? Intimidated? Lonely? Fearful?

Where do these emotions come from, I wondered?

The Holy Spirit was very quick to whisper "Not from me." Recognizing in that moment who was trying to come into my house (the enemy), I quickly started my silent prayers. Literally seconds later, I received the text "On our way!". And with a sigh of relief, I took the first sip of my coffee with enjoyment.

Breakfast was good, or so I heard. I couldn't eat a thing. I am like a kid in a candy store when I know I've planned something big for someone, almost always wrecking the surprise! I had been sitting on this surprise for weeks too, so that just made the build up that much more.

Chloe and Esther had spent the night just a few days prior and painted mom a surprise of their very own. They were just about as anxious as me! They are so cute.

Chloe gets extra points for her creativity.


Notice it says "Cats Stink"? I didn't even prompt that. Golden. (For those of you who don't know, it's an ongoing battle as to which is better, cats or dogs. Obviously, I'm in the right side of the fence being a dog person)

Now for the big surprise. This is one that has been in the works for months. You see, for Christmas all the kids and I came up with this plan to write letters of thankfulness and place them in a book. We had it printed up with pictures of each of us too (we just know mom is the sentimental type).


We knew we had to try and top that for Mother's Day.

We started this plan of "capture every moment", and we were well on our way. Hundreds of videos later (just a side note, if your kids are trying to record you - or your parents or friends - let them. You never know what may be in store) and a few million attempts on my part at putting this thing together, we had something good. Something great actually. The songs were about as perfect as you can get, and we did our best to find the right video for each moment.

Time to share with Mom.

The next 8 minutes were priceless. Watching each passing clip and the expression of all the viewers, it was well worth every labored hour.





It was then time to say our goodbys, or rather our "see you laters". And with that, my Bentz Bunch was on their way to Texas!

*Remember, this is only temporary.*

Here's our special Mother's days surprise, I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!


Bents Family Mother's Day Video 

Click there ^^^^^^ :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment