Monday, July 7, 2014

Born in America

Can you think back to the best present you've ever been given? Was it for your birthday, Christmas, or just a random Friday?

Think about it now. 

The feeling of excitement as you realized what was now yours. Try to muster up that feeling again... Got it? Excitement. Pure joy. Fascination that someone gave it to you, this amazing gift, with no strings attched. 

What if I told you I could top that gift? 

Believe me or not, I can. 

But first, let's take a stroll down memory lane...

Over the years, I've had my share of ups and downs in the gift receiving category. There have been days filled with laughter and memories of family celebrations, but there have also been birthdays resulting in tears, and maybe some Christmas mornings with just a little disappointment.

These tear filled days and disappointed moments may have been because I didn't know how to gracefully receive a present--even if I didn't quiet care for it. As I grew older, my friend circle even became hesitant to gift me with items because they have heard the stories from my childhood. Of course, told from my perspective.

I can remember a 13 year old me being told to open my eyes to find a used western saddle. A saddle my dad was so proud to gift me with. One he spent hard earned money on. A saddle he actually had bought months before, telling me it was for my step mom.

I was distraught over this. I already had a western saddle. You know, the kind barrel racers use with the horn in front. I wanted an English saddle. A shiny new one. The ones that allowed a rider to gracefully jump over any item with ease. A few of the girls I was in school with all rode English. They went to shows on weekends and wore the stretchy pants and the knee high boots and helmets. They spent all of their time in arenas.

I just knew I wanted my horse stories to be like theirs.

I am so thankful God knew me better than I knew myself. Because I rode in a western saddle, I was able to handle 45 mile trail rides that lasted all weekend. I was able to attach items to the back of my saddle that allowed for these long trips. I was able to be in the woods, the fields, the mountains. I was able to see so much of what God created beyond a sandy arena. And for me, that's exactly what I needed. And to top it off (literally) I didn't have to wear a stuffy helmet. My head was free as could be, unless I choose to tuck it into a spectacular cowboy hat.

I mean, I would have missed out on moments like these.




(I always have loved a good dress up occasion!) 

I haven't forgotten about the gift I promised to share with you...

First, I want to share this years birthday experience.

I am thankful for birthdays that are done right. Right as in, no melt downs and expectations are far exceeded.

That's the story this year. Year 27. 
 
 

I was catered to ALL day. Seriously. So. Much. Food.

And the birthday journal is by far my favorite.


Mom - The word that waited 26 years to gain personal meaning. (This is proof some things are worth waiting for)


(transcription: Happy Birthday Kris. I love you and don't want you to leave but I want your dog to... leave me alone. Kris I love you. Love Joshua.)

Is this not the greatest?

But what's a birthday without silly birthday rhymes?

it went something like this...

"Happy Birthday Kris, I'm glad that you're my big sis.
I love playing games with you, whether its Seven Wonders or Taboo.
You're great at helping with decorating, whether painting or chincy faux tin.
When you are here we get to stay up late, We're still looking for your mate.
I can't wait until you move down here, out of your hand you will feed the deer.
We love you Kris from head to feet, You make our family complete."

Oh, my Noah. How he makes me laugh! And of course, I always appreciate a great birthday rhyme.

Noah and Lydia also spent their very own money on survivor swag for my birthday! How great is that? 


And once I got back to Arkansas the party kept on going.


Yes, I'm highly favored and extremely blessed! 

I've had many people make comments to me over the last few years about my lifestyle or the things I've gotten to do. Traveling all over the world, meeting people some would never believe. Making ends meet when I least expected it. Avoiding death on numerous occasions in horrible car accidents. 

I've received personal messages or been face to face and see someone have that longing look in their eyes to have some of the same experiences. 

Well, I want to tell you how it has all been possible. 

It all comes back to the gift thing really.

See, one year - four days after my actual birthday - my dad gifted me with the best thing anyone could ever receive.

No serioisly, this gift cannot be topped. 

This was another one of those birthdays that exceeded expectations.

This gift was non refundable, given to me by great sacrifice form my dad. Something I needed more than anything else, even though I was unaware at the time. 

This gift is something I have with me every day, even now. He loved me so much, he was willing to make a major sacrifice so I could be given this gift. Its actually something He tried to give me several times in years past. Offered it to me on numerous occasions, but I was stubborn and didn't want the gift. I threw fits about it most of the time, others I just refused to acknowledge He was even offering it to me. 

This isn't reserved for just birthdays or Christmas either- but I wouldn't accept it. I refused for a long time. It wasn't until I felt like I had nothing and I knew I needed something. 

My dad was there, still offering this to me.

I am not talking about the dad you all have in mind though.

I am talking about my Dad. My friend. My father who is above all else. The Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end. 

On July 12, 2011 - I received the most precious gift anyone has ever offered to me. The gift of eternal life, which can only be received through Jesus Christ.

I would LOVE to share with you more about this on a personal level. I will buy the coffee and drive the distance to your cities. I can pick up a phone and make a call. However you may want to hear about this thing that changed my life. This gift. The gift of redemption, grace and mercy. 

The gift of total freedom. And not the "born in America" type of freedom. It's more of a freedom from self distriction or freedom from shame. Freedom from feelings of worthlessness, feelings of abandonment. Freedom from self doubt and fear of the unknown. Freedom from lies and bondage.

This precious gift that has turned my life into a story worth sharing is one I long to share with you. 

Please, don't wait. I really love coffee and talking about my Jesus, so I'm willing to do this anytime, anywhere. 



2 comments:

  1. Our heavenly Dad is smiling and singing over you, Kris! Thanks for offering such a precious gift - to those that have ears, let them hear! :)
    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Mrs. Amanda!

      Delete